Chickpeas, more bread.

This weekend was a fairly busy one in the kitchen. I cooked all three nights and all day Sunday and everything - with one exception - turned out well.

On Friday I tried a recipe from Serious Eats' Dinner Tonight series - Lemony Chickpea Stir-Fry, which doesn't really resemble a stir fry at all. Regardless, it had some of my favourite foods - chickpeas, roasted red peppers - and was a chance to try something new. I really liked the idea of cooking the chickpeas until they were golden and crispy; Culina serves fried chickpeas and they're amazing.

I think I made a few mistakes. I should have chopped the kale into smaller pieces. I probably should have cooked the chickpeas on lower heat; I found mine were charring more than they were slowly changing colour - the smoke detector agreed. Good news - our alarm company doesn't wait long to call when something is burning. Despite those two problems, I still really enjoyed this dish. It was filling, light, fun to make and for someone with a bit more experience, probably quick and easy. It was a very lemony meal, and was missing a little something, though I'm not sure what. Maybe some garlic or more peppers? Perhaps just a little more salt and pepper? I'm going to try again soon.



I also baked a loaf of no knead bread Friday night. I had prepared the dough Thursday, so it raised for close to a full twenty four hours. This was my second time baking bread. The first loaf looked like this:



Encouraged by how that loaf turned out - it was delicious! - I decided to play with the recipe a little bit. I used two cups whole wheat flour and one cup white, rather than all white. I also mixed in quarter of a cup or so of ground flax and dusted the loaf with corn meal instead of wheat germ. It looked like this:



I think the second loaf looked a little cooler, but both were delicious. I think splitting the flour 50/50 might be the sweet spot. I'm interested in mixing in some raisins to see how that would turn out.

I'll post more tomorrow about the rest of the weekend.

1 comments:

Kevin Kossowan said...

Great looking loaves!!

Post a Comment

www.flickr.com

Blog Archive