Shoes and a sandwich.

I need new shoes. I'm not particularly happy about this; running shoes are really expensive, and I've grown quite attached to this pair. This was the first winter I've ever run through and I opted for trail shoes. They seemed a touch heavy when I first got them, but I got used to the weight quickly. In addition to being extremely comfortable and supportive, I've been really pleased with the grip offered by these runners; I'm not sure I could have navigated our awful sidewalks with regular running shoes. But really, running in -30°C weather can't be good for a pair of running shoes. They barely had a hundred miles on them - they're at about 550 now - when they started to split and crack. The cracking seemed to be purely cosmetic and never caused any problems. These guys only have two runs left - I'm off to Fast Trax on Saturday to replace them.


I haven't done much cooking this week, unfortunately. The paella I made on Monday provided me with a lot of leftovers for the week. I've been living off prune paella and smashed chickpea sandwiches on homemade bread all week. The sandwiches have been absolutely delicious and are bound to become a lunch staple.

Chickpea Salad
  • 8 cups cooked chickpeas
  • 1/2 medium carrot, shredded
  • 2 tbsp. capers
  • 3 or four cloves garlic, finely chopped
  • 3 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
  • oregano
  • salt
I threw everything in a large bowl, mixed everything together thoroughly and mashed with a fork. I served about 1/2 a cup of the salad between two slices of delicious, thick homemade bread - Mark Bittman's No Knead Bread - with a little bit of HP Sauce.

This weekend I'm hoping to try a few different dishes, and maybe even do a little baking.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

www.flickr.com

Blog Archive